It was an eventful past weekend for Women’s MMA. The UFC Strawweight bout between South Korea’s Seo Hee Ham and Danielle Taylor ended in an underwhelming split decision victory for Taylor. After the bout fans protested on Twitter claiming that it was Ham who in fact won the fight and complaining of the eye poke from Taylor to Ham.
Elsewhere however stars are emerging. The biggest winner this week is no doubt Brazillian strawweight, Virna “Carcará” Jandiroba, Jandiroba improves her record to 10-0-0 after defeating Suiane Santos via round 1 armbar at Imperium MMA Pro 12. “Carcará” previously fought earlier this month defeating former UFC veteran Lisa Ellis via a round 1 choke. It’s only a matter of time before we see this woman competing in UFC’s strawweight division.
Top bantamweight prospect Mara Romero Borella is now on a three fight win streak after defeating Maria Casanova. Borella was battering Casanova with vicious ground and pound before locking in a tight armbar to claim the victory in round 3. Her record now improves to 9-4-0 (1N.C).
After taking a close decision loss back in July, bantamweight fighter Brenda Gonzales-Means made a huge statement with a brutal round 1 TKO victory over Yumi Matsumoto at KOTC: Duke City 2. She improves her record to 8-3-0.
Another big winner was Joice Mara who defeated Joicy Tabosa at Rei da Selva 8. Mara was locked in a tight choke during the bout but managed to come back and emerge with the victory. She improves her record to 2-0-0.
Below are the full results for this past weekends WMMA events.
Friday – 25th
(135) – Cinja Kiefer defeats Zana Setzock via TKO in round 2
Saturday – 26th
(115) – Danielle Taylor defeats Seo Hee Ham via split decision
(135) – Suvi Salmimies defeats Vanessa Melo via split decision
(125) – Molly McCann defeats Anjela Pink via TKO in round 1
(135) – Brenda Gonzales-Means defeats Yumi Matsumoto via TKO in round 1
(115) – Joice Mara defeats Joicy Tabosa via unanimous decision.
(115) – Virna Jandiroba defeats Suiane Santos via submission (Armbar) in round 1
(135) – Caitlin McEwen defeats Jess Doueihi via TKO in round 2
(130) – Mara Romero Borella defeats Maria Casanova via submission (Armbar) in round 3