This Saturday in Toronto, Canada, top flyweight contenders Katlyn Chookagian and Jessica Eye will do battle in a bout that may determine the next title challenger.
So, what does each fighter need to do to get her hand raised?
“BLONDE FIGHTER” KATLYN CHOOKAGIAN (11-1)
- Establish distance: Chookagian has an underrated ground game, but she tends to do her best work on the feet. She should frustrate eye by moving well and keeping her distance– pumping out a jab and throwing frequent front teep kicks to frustrate Eye.
- Stay busy: ‘Blonde Fighter’ isn’t known for her one punch knockout power. She is instead a volume striker who throws often at her opponents. 8 of her 11 pro wins come by way of decision– she can get ahead on the scorecards early by out landing Eye.
- Mix it up: Katlyn has some excellent combos. She has quick hands and fights long. Complimenting her hands, is a variety of beautiful kicks that she often catches her opponents off guard with (see fights with Liz Carmouche, Alexis Davis). She should keep Jessica guessing with question mark kicks, side kicks, etc.
JESSICA “EVIL” EYE (13-6, 1 NC)
- Stay aggressive: Eye should look to stay aggressive early. If she can push forward and keep her opponent back pedaling she can limit Chookagian’s offense and combinations.
- Make it ugly: Jessica can take away the range attacks of her opponent by getting close enough for dirty boxing and than utilizing the clinch.
- Change levels: Eye has recently shown some newer wrinkles to her game with her grappling. She showed this off against Kalindra Faria in her flyweight debut and it helped her score the decision. While Chookagian is underrated on the ground, Eye can score points by timing Chookagian’s shots, changing levels, and grounding her opponent.
Who will you be rooting for?